In an attempt to get more use out of some under-loved (but still totally stellar) products that I own, I wanted to make a fall makeup tutorial that incorporated some products that I haven’t used in a while. I don’t know why I ever stopped using them, because I’ve been obsessing over the Naked palette and Bare Minerals foundation for the last week and a half now!
Do you have any products that are great but don’t get a lot of love?
Before and after
Products used: Continue reading
Final Grade: B-
Well, Urban Decay Shadow Box palette, it appears that our roller coaster of a love-affair is quickly approaching an end. Our love started out so strong and so hopeful, but what we wanted out of our relationship just didn’t match up….
Before getting into the body of the review, I wanted to point out that I already owned Sin and Smog from the original Naked palette. You and I both might have imagined that the colors and formula would be the same, but then we both would be quite wrong…More on this later in the post.
Urban Decay’s Shadow Box for Fall 2014 is $34 for 12x.01 oz of product, exclusive to Ulta. Urban Decay’s eyeshadows normally run $18 for .05 oz, so this palette contains $43.20 worth of product. This isn’t the biggest “value” in a palette, but you do get a lot of variety for a relatively low price, which is something I’m always wiling to pay a little bit more for. As much as I wanted to love this palette, the formula just wasn’t up to par with what I expected from the brand. Urban Decay’s eyeshadow formula has (previously) been so consistently impeccable that I was 100% unafraid to buy this palette before any reviews came out and without being able to swatch it myself. Unfortunately, the majority of the shades in this palette suffer from a very thin consistency, which lacks pigmentation and is rather hard to blend. Normally, a final grade of B- isn’t terrible for a product, but for a brand that consistently releases A and A+ quality palettes, it was just incredibly unexpected…and a little bizarre.
Urban Decay describes the palette as ranging “from pale to deep, matte to sparkly,” but I would say that’s an exaggeration. There’s one pale shade, one deep shade, and ten medium shades; there’s one matte shade and eleven sparkly shades. This isn’t quite the variety you’d expect from the description. Ultimately, I was a little let down by this palette since I know that Urban Decay is capable of such better eyeshadow formulations, so I returned it to Ulta.
The Question: How long do you keep your finger nails?
My Answer: Ever since my piano days, which began in elementary school, I have kept my nails very short. I like the look of long(er) nails, but they just drive me crazy on myself!
Share your answer in the comments section below! I’d love to hear from you!
Since fall is coming right around the corner, I thought I’d make a fun fall themed TAG to get into the spirit of the upcoming season.
- What are you going to miss most about summer? I’m going to miss the weather and how easy it is to go on a bike ride or a hike at any time. It gets super windy where I live in the fall, so these activities can dangerous really fast.
PS: I’m not kidding. Going to Crown Point on a windy day is a sport around here!
- What are you most excited about for fall? Boots! Always, boots! Thanksgiving with my family is always one of my favorite fall moments, as well.
- What is your perfect fall lip product? Korres lip butters in Wild Rose or Plum! I also love Revlon’s Just Bitten Kissable Balmstain in Crush! (I couldn’t pick just one!)
- Which blush just screams fall perfection? MAC’s Mocha. Okay, okay, okay… I know it doesn’t look like anything special in the pan, but don’t you remember your mother telling you not to judge a book by its cover? It is one of the most flattering blush shades I have ever found, so I can’t recommend it enough!
- Best nail polish for fall? I’m a huge fan of darker green colors like China Glaze Agro, OPI Just Spotted The Lizard, Revlon Rain Forest, and Essie Stylenomics.
- What is your favorite palette for fall? I love to play with blush during the fall, so my favorite palette is my NARS Danmari blush palette, which I got a few years ago during Christmas.
- Does your makeup change for fall? I definitely play up my lips more and I switch to more rosy shades of blush.
- How does your skincare routine change with the new season? It doesn’t change by much; I just tend to use a heavier moisturizer before bed going to bed.
- Favorite perfume to wear in the fall time? Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia…it’s my favorite to wear during ANY part of the year!
- What is your fall staple? (Makeup, fashion, hair, food, movie, etc.) BOOTS! I will wear boots every single day of fall and winter. There’s flat boots, boots with heels, ankle boots, mid-calf boots, just-below-the-knee boots, etc! ALL THE BOOTS!
- Coffee or tea? Tea–it’s so calming and so satisfyingly warm.
- Do you get to really experience fall where you live? I don’t know, you tell me! ;)
13. Will you be carving a pumpkin? Yes, definitely! I don’t think I’ve missed carving a pumpkin a single year of my life. Also, I’m student teaching at a school that is next door to a pumpkin patch so I think I may grab my pumpkin from there this year. :)
14. Boots or scarves? Boots, always boots. I do love me some good scarves, though.
15. Who will you be tagging? Anyone who is reading this! I’m not really established well enough in the beauty blogging community to have any blogging companions to specifically name to be tagged, so I’d love to hear from any and all people who read this! :)
Here’s the questions for your convenience to copy and paste! Leave a link to your post if you decide to do the tag, or answer as many questions as you like in the comment section below!
- What are you going to miss most about summer?
- What are you most excited about for fall?
- What is your perfect fall lip product?
- Which blush just screams fall perfection?
- Best nail polish for fall?
- What is your favorite palette for fall?
- Does your makeup change for fall?
- How does your skincare routine change with the new season?
- Favorite perfume to wear in the fall time?
- What is your fall staple? (Makeup, fashion, hair, food, movie, etc.)
- Coffee or tea?
- Do you get to really experience fall where you live?
- Will you be carving a pumpkin?
- Boots or scarves?
- Who will you be tagging?
Learn how to get a makeup look that is absolutely perfect for fall! This look is, in particular, fabulous for people with brown eyes! Enjoy :)
MAC’s Paint Pot in Soft Ochre
Lorac’s eyeshadow in Garnet (from the PRO palette)
Lorac’s eyeshadow in Sable (from the PRO palette)
Lorac’s eyeshadow in Cream (from the PRO palette)
Lorac’s eyeshadow in White (from the PRO palette)
Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liner in Perversion
Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liner in Hustle
Chanel’s Vitalumiere Aqua foundation (I wear the shade BR-12)
Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind Concealer (the brightening shade)
MAC’s blush in Mocha
Benefit’s Gimme Brow in Medium/Deep
Revlon’s Lip Butter in shade 020 Brown Sugar
L’Oreal’s Double Extend Tubing Mascara, Step 1
Maybelline’s The Falsies Flared mascara
Here’s a little before and after sneak peek for next week’s video! :)
For this week’s edition of What Do You Say? Wednesday…
Q: What is your best tip for getting ready quickly in the morning? Leave your answer in the comment section below! I’d love to hear from you!
My answer: I know this sounds so elementary, but picking out my outfit for the day the night before saves me SO much time. This way I can take as much time as I want to pick out a great outfit and then I can just (groggily) throw it on when I get up, instead of rushing myself in the morning to pick something to wear that is just “meh.” Let me tell you, from someone who isn’t exactly a morning person, those extra morning minutes count.